Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Are We There Yet?

Surprisingly, I seemed to be done editing, but that just seems too good to be true. I'm not sure how I feel about my final product. While I like it, I feel like so many things could just be better. Everything just feels rushed and too quick, but if it goes any slower, it will be over 2 minutes.

Also, I am unsure about the audio. I feel like the levels are too high, so I definitely want to fix that. I also think I want to add narration, possibly a inner monologue. I guess I'll just play around with the final product.

The new shot I'll be using
Also, I know I need to make a few changes. I asked a few of my friends and classmates to watch and critique what I had so far. While they liked it, there was some parts they felt were too fast and didn't necessarily understand, such as the pills on the record shot. Everyone who I showed it to, did not make the connection that they were pills and just assumed she was going to sleep. I've never been so happy to have overshot. I actually filmed a shot where the iconic orange pill bottle was also on the record as well as the pills. When I showed that to my friends, they definitely agreed.
Before Splitting

After Splitting
I'm also working with the timing, since in exportation the opening just ended right on 2 minutes. Since the opening is mainly a long shot, I found it hard to just speed up the entire shot, especially since the some parts felt slower while some too fast. For example, when shooting I told her to change her speed to go faster when I noticed how long it was taking. So when I speed the long take up, these parts look unnatural and obviously edited. To get around this, I split the clip up into smaller pieces and individually edited every shot to make it flow smoothly. In the end, this actually reduced the overall time by 4 seconds, which even though doesn't seem like a lot, means a lot to me because it gave more leg room for editing other shots.

Just editing the long take improved the overall opening, since I had previously taken out a few shots I really liked to reach the correct time limit, but now I have the opportunity to play around with him. As well as the fact that most cuts and editing were so rushed. Shots were cutting too fast and nothing was left up on screen for too long. This "fast editing" removed the intimate feeling I was longing for since the beginning, so I'm pretty ecstatic about being able to fix it.

So right now, I feel like the only other things I need to do are finalize the editing changes I have made recently and edit the coloring, which I will have to do within IMovie. I already asked Summer if I could finish up using her laptop and she was okay with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment