Thursday, March 10, 2016

Getting There...

After some consideration and thought I have at least (somewhat) decided on my genre. I want to create something that I would watch if I weren't creating it, if that makes any sense. I watch quite a bit of student films online in my spare time and I've found that I'm typically I'm drawn towards dramas that have a more creative and  "art house" feel to them.

I want to create something inspired by some of my favorite films: Stuck in Love, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Like Crazy, Blue is the Warmest Color, Birdman, Juno, 10 Things I Hate About You, About Time, Palo Alto, The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Kings of Summer and The Art of Getting By.

Being a young teen, age 16, I would most obviously be drawn more towards contemporary dramas aimed toward my age group with relatable issues. I want to create something that I, as well as my peers, can relate to. So that's why I've decided to continue on the route of creating a Teen Drama with "coming of age" and "alienation" themes within it. The two films that are really driving me towards this decision are The Perks of Being A Wallflower and Palo Alto. I feel that the cinematography paired the truthful portrayal of the behind-the-scenes life during high school without over-exaggerating is what really helps the films capture me as well as they did. Both films left me with an overwhelming sensation that I hope to achieve with my two minute opening; something that, I believe, has to been done through the genre of Drama.

I've included a few excerpts from the films to showcase exactly what I mean when I'm talking about the two films.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower
  • Charlie's Breakdown scene - This scene to me creates so much emotion with through the editing and the visuals. When I first watched the film I cried during this scene. 
  •  Homecoming Dance Scene - This scene captures the essence of the all the characters and juxtaposes Sam and Patrick's outgoing characteristics with Charlie's "wallflower" characteristic. There was just something about the composition of the scene that made me fall in love with it. 
Palo Alto
  • "Emily Didn't Have Any Friends" Scene - Although the content of the scene is dark and explicit, the combination of the narration and the slowed-down visuals of Emily is extremely haunting, yet beautiful. To me, this was the saddest scene within the film. Also, Emily playing in the playground infers her purity and innocence while the narration talks of how she lost it.
  • April's Bedroom Scene - This scene shows the behind-the-scenes side of April's character and what she aspires to be. She is seen as a symbol of purity and innocence within the film, whose said to "care too much." Also, showing realism in the nature of teenagers.
I still haven't decided what my plot is exactly, but I spent majority of today brainstorming within my journal. I also take Creative Writing as one of my courses and it's helping me come up with ideas. Currently my personal journal is scattered with possible ideas. I'm hoping to narrow it down by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment