Thursday, March 31, 2016

Progress(!) + Changes + Overcoming Obstacles

So on Tuesday (3/29) I was able to squeeze some filming in. We were originally going to shoot the picnic at Vista after school as well as take some Polaroids for the journal, but due to the terrible weather, we were not able to shoot that scene.  I didn't just want to shoot nothing however, since I knew this would put me even farther behind then I already am. So, I just made a few changes to what Mia's memory would be.

Alex & I at PeiWei
For the Polaroids and filming, I just decided to keep with the aspect of us eating together, mainly because we had already bought the food for the picnic. So, we started filming and taking pictures at PeiWei while it poured outside.

We also continued the filming outside into the rain and the car, trying to be as goofy as possible (which isn't too hard for us).

Alex & I in the car.
Within editing, I really liked the way the stop motion memories looked, they looked a little disjointed and fun, while still disoriented.

Since Alex had to leave shortly after we filmed, Summer and I went back to her house to get as many shots as we could at the moment, since I am not yet done with Mia's Journal. We hope to continue shooting today and might reshoot some of the images since I am constantly changing my mind on what I think is best.

The lighting with double sheets.


For instance, we shot Mia looking at a Polaroid of all three of us in PeiWei, but we also took one in the car and I'm starting to like that one better. Especially since the memory montage just looks a lot better and happier than the PeiWei montage, especially with coloring. So I might have to reshoot the images that the previous Polaroid was used in.

At first, the time we were filming was bringing too much light into her room, so I tried blocking the window with one of her scarves, but that still wasn't working. So I just ended up tatking off her curtains all together and placed a thicker, white sheet over the window and then replaced the curtains, to have double the blockage. This created the perfect lighting that I was looking for. I fell in love with it immediately, but when it started to get darker, it became harder to see, even when the curtain was removed. So, next time we have to start shooting a little earlier since the images that we shot without natural lighting, were not on par with the ones shot with. When we used her ceiling lamp, the shots became too yellow and too lit. With natural lighting, they were less saturated and darker, but brought in the perfect amount of lighting and shadows.

Still of Mia with natural lighting

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bella! I love reading your blog posts because your passion for your film really shines through your words, making me feel the same enthusiasm. I appreciate how detailed you make your posts because it shows that you know exactly what you want and exactly how your going to achieve it. Your content and visuals tremendously aid the reader in imagining your vision.
    I am glad you improvised going to PeiWei instead of not shooting any film because if may have come out better than you expected it to. I would love to see more still images of the actual film as you progress in the future because the last still of Mia included in this post is awesome and I want to see more just like it! I think you are doing a wonderful job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete