Friday, March 11, 2016

Got it!

I've finally created an idea that I want to stick and run with!

I knew that I wanted to do something including my best friends, Alex and Summer, because I love them and they make any situation 100 times more fun whenever I'm with them. In truth, they really inspired some aspects of my story and from there on I paved my way into a full plot.

Whenever Alex, Summer, and I hang out after school we are always spontaneous and always have wild fun, basically embodying the essence of teenage years. This remind me of the way Charlie and his friends were in The Perks of Being A Wallflower and I wanted to capture our friendship in the same way.

What really set me going was the pictures we took. Whenever we're together Summer, being the more artsy one of our group, would always take pictures either with her phone or her Polaroid camera. Which eventually inspired Alex and I to get our own cameras. So now, whenever we hang out we all take pictures on our own Polaroid cameras and now each have a stash of photos documenting our days.

While in Creative Writing class I was going through some from a few days ago, when I went to the park with Alex, when my teacher, Mrs. Siegel, asked us to write about something. Having the photographs in my hand I doodled the photographs on my page and began to write about Alex and the way he was trapped inside the film, unable to edited by an application on a phone, and how photographs in film feel raw to me. From that little bit I wrote, Mrs. Siegel asked us to branch upon that idea and continue with it. So I did.


I wrote a few paragraphs for the beginning of a story. A story about looking back at a Polaroid picture evokes a feeling that can never change, just like the moment the photo was taken in. Where I was heading with the story was that a Polaroid was taken right before the death of the subject and the Narrator can only remember him as he was in the photo.

After a little thought I decided I didn't want to go in that direction for my film opening however. With a little more thought, research, and examination of the rubric and project in general I decided on my story line: A Muslim-American girl reflects on the happier times she had with her friends through Polaroid pictures before attempting to take her own life due to depression, conflict and complications with her sexuality, and loosing her friends.

I'm so excited and I cannot wait to get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment