Friday, March 18, 2016

My Execution

Although I've explained the premise of my idea and the background of it, I haven't begun to speak about how I'm going to execute my idea. I have the idea within my head of how I want just about everything to look.

Example of a memory
I have this obsession with working with the saturation, coloring, and lighting of my films. Last year I made a film titled "A Life That Is Not Mine." I played around with the coloring and the saturation mainly. The film dealt with two realities, flashbacks and present time. Within the memories, the coloring was very cold and a lot of the saturation was taken out and within the present all the colors were a lot more warm and vibrant. I added a few examples of the contrast.

Example of present
In my scene I want to work with the same ideal of two realities, memories and the present. However, for my scene, since the majority of it will be in the present I do not want the two colors to be so contrasted. For the present I was thinking of working with very warm colors, but low lighting and some subtraction of saturation. Something like the stills I added from The Perks of Being A Wallflower and Palo Alto. It still feels warm and comfortable, yet dark. I feel as if making the scene cool and blue will make is feel isolated. I want the scene to illicit emotion and I don't think that cool colors can do that.

Example of my ideal lighting and coloring.
Example of ideal lighting and coloring
Within my opening I want to introduce my main character and allude to conflict. I wanted to use the main character's journal to introduce her character as well as to incorporate the credits. To do the credits I was hoping to use Polaroid pictures and write the credits like captions for the photographs. To introduce the main character I would do it through the pages of her journal and pictures within in. On the pages would be entries, doodles, sketches, letter, flowers, etc. taped into the journal, anything to really get across the artistic nature of my main character across while still alluding to the conflicts within her. I got this idea from my own journal in which I use as a journal and tape my own Polaroid pictures within.



Example of memory motion
When it comes down to the memories, I have a very specific look in mind. I want them to be very choppy, almost like a stop motion. I want them to look very artistic and psychedelic since I will be inferring that the main character is under the influence of many substances and emotions at the time. 



Recently, I took a burst of photos on my friend's phone and when you swiped through them they gave a artsy, intimate feel. There's enough connection to create an essence, but adds a little diversity and art towards a rather steady piece. I want the memories to have a lot of emotion towards them, therefore majority of them will be in point-of-view shots, in order to create connection between viewer and character.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Perf. Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. Roadshow, 2012. Film.
Palo Alto. Dir. Gia Coppola. Perf. Emma Roberts, Nat Wolff, James Franco. 2013. Film.

No comments:

Post a Comment